Web applications are a great way to stay in touch on the go or to make life in your home office easily. No matter how you access the web, there are applications out there that you can use to make life more organized, more informed and more fun. Here are nineteen web applications you’ll love if you’re a public health professional.
For the Android
- Fast Food Calorie Counter: Know exactly how many calories you’re consuming when you give into fast food. This app tracks and provides data for almost 9000 menu items from 72 fast food restaurants. Track calories, fat fiber, carbs and protein.
- Calorie Counter by FatSecret: This calorie counter is simple to use. It can also figure out the recommended daily calorie intake you need based on your weight and fitness goals. It has a bar code scanner to make finding foods really easy.
- BMI Calculator: Calculate your Body Mass Index quickly and easily. Great for dieters.
- Nutrition Tips: Get tips on making your food work for you.
- Vitamins and Minerals: Help improve your nutrition by learning which vitamins and minerals do what, as well as learning which foods contain the ones you’re looking for.
- Cancer Preventing Food: Learn the foods that have been linked to cancer prevention.
- Control of Communicable Diseases Manual:This app includes the latest on identifying, managing, and preventing hundreds of infectious diseases, as well as public health news feeds and links to journal abstracts and citations. This is the most widely recognized reference for public health workers.
- Pathology and Disease:This application is a great way to learn more about the diseases that are spreading in your area. It allows you to learn all about disease processes. This is a great application for all healthcare professionals.
- Infectious Diseases:This application for your Android is a great teaching too for helping users learn more about communicable diseases.
- Pandemic Flu Guide: This application will give you all the information you need to ensure you’re prepared in the event of a flu pandemic.
- Health News: Get all the health news you need including alerts about disease outbreaks with this android app.
For the iPhone
- WhereTraveller: Updates security wait times at airports, and provides information on your destination such as restaurants, entertainment and shopping, as well as airline and rental car agency phone numbers.
- OmniFocus: This task management application allows you to create to do lists, as well as sync with documents on your desktop.
- ExpenseTrkr: Perfect for tracking expenses while you travel, this app even has the ability to document receipts via the phone’s camera function. Great for keeping track of business expenses.
- Outbreaks Near Me: This application is based on health map and is being used regularly by medical professionals to track the H1N1 flu outbreaks. The application was created by researchers at Children’s Hospital in Boston with help from MIT. This app is also available for the Android.
- Influenza (H1N1) Tracker: Much like Swine Flu News Tracker, this application is specifically for informing about H1N1. This app breaks information down by country. However, within the US, you can also get it broken down by state, and includes the assessment level offered by the World Health Organization.
- FDA Mobile: Information on this app comes directly from the US Food and Drug Administration. This application delivers disease outbreak information straight to your phone, as well as allowing you to search for other information from the FDA, such as food warnings and drug interactions. You can even find out when the latest medical treatments and devices get FDA approval.
- CDC News Reader: This is all the outbreak information you need to know, straight from the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta. Essentially, it sends you the latest news reports coming out of the CDC, including disease outbreaks, emergency preparedness and travel notices.
- PEPID Tracker:You’ll find out all the disease related information you need to know with this iPhone application. This is a great application for people who travel, because you can see what’s going on in the part of the world you’re traveling to. This application is also available for your Android.